We took some pictures yesterday and I'm debating which one(s) to use for our Christmas card and/or if we should just start over! We had to take advantage of a rare non windy day. I have a favorite but I won't bias you. Please share your favorite! On an unrelated note, each day I'm becoming more convinced that Ansley will be able to read before she's potty trained. She's already read a few words (and not from any books that we read over and over) and is figuring out the sounds the letters make. She's also pretty interested in spelling. She told me today that "daddy's name starts with a 't,' mommy's name starts with an 'e,' and Ansley's name starts with an 'a.'" She also told me "daddy starts with 'd'." I am continually surprised with how she can name all the members of various family friends (including their parents) and wants to know what everyone's names are when we're out and about.
Or some collagey thing:
Monday, November 28, 2011
I've been in a rush to play with toxic chemicals while I can. Okay, I'm mostly kidding but I did lacquer my kitchen chairs and coat the table with semi gloss polyurethane. I did a little bit of touching up with a stain marker and lightly sanded the surfaces so the lacquer and polyurethane would have something to stick to. I should've sanded with the grain of the fake wood but didn't realize it until after doing the chairs. I also would've used finer grit sand paper if I could've found it at Walmart (I was too lazy to make another trip to Home Depot). If I'd known how easy it was, I would've done this when we first bought our table five years ago.
We also painted our master bedroom with Behr's Candlelight Ivory. Tyrone was (and is) much better at applying the coats evenly even though I used the "m" and "w" strokes. That satin finish is a little tricky b/c you can't invisibly touch it when it's started to set even just a little bit. I will post pictures after we get the pictures I want to put over the bed.
Sunday, November 13, 2011
Yeah, this photoshoot isn't working so well with the 25 mph winds. haha.
A few weeks ago Jessica from Me Sew Crazy posted the prettiest jackets she made for her beautiful girls. I was kind of jealous and commented that I wanted one for myself. Jessica kindly replied that an ivory version would look nice and I obviously ran with it. :) Thanks Jessica! I used a bottom weight for the outer fabric b/c I wanted some more structure but I regretted it a little bit when the ruffles poofed out more than I expected at my waist
(note- bottom weight fabric was not suggested in the tutorial). but then I added a few cheater darts to the front to make it more fitted around my waist. The sleeves were narrower than expected but I can still hold Ansley and play the piano while wearing the jacket, so I consider that a success. :)
I made the adult version of Dana from Made's Can Can Skirt and love it! I was a little skeptical of the shape when I'd only sewed the skirt lining but it's wonderful to not have any extra bulk around the hips and it hangs beautifully; so beautifully that I talked Tyrone into taking more pictures out of the wind so you can see the perfect shape. I love how soft non fray chiffon is. (and I actually bought some to make a dress for Ansley. Hopefully it works).
I'll leave you with a collage of us practicing the can can:
Sunday, November 6, 2011
I had the opportunity to pattern test for the first time. Melissa at MellySews made the most darling blazer pattern for her son. I LOVE how it turned out! Thanks Melissa!!
I love the shape of the collar and the curved edges. I love the way the blazer facing and the blazer front lining fit together. I love how she recommended trimming the curves with pinking shears. I'm totally going to do that from now on. I also love how it's completely lined. I love the suggestion to use a fun lining fabric.
Ansley just turned 2 1/2 and she typically wears between a size 2 and a size 4. I cut out the size 3 and didn't take it in on the back at all. The shoulders fit perfect and the length is perfect. I only sewed on one button for a few reasons- buttonholes and I don't get along, I like the look of just one button, and I think I would've had some pulling/tugging over her little kid belly if I had added more buttons.
Hand sewing is not my forte. I probably should've zigzagged or pinked the sleeves and hand turning hole section of the blazer bottom before blind stitching.
I think this pattern works equally well for a little boy or little girl, depending on fabric choices.
Exterior fabric is leftover from Ansley's Halloween Costume and my A+ A-line skirt. The lining is leftover from one of my many circle skirts.
Here are some bonus shots from our library photo shoot.