Big Elk Creek:
Packsaddle Lake just before dark:
Where Fall Creek empties into the Snake River:
Monday, September 24, 2012
(week three of project run and play)
I used part of a queen sized 100% cotton 300 thread count sheet. I was tempted to dye it (hence the 100% cotton) or stamp it or do something crazy but my love of white won. I also wanted to use the existing hem on the sides and bottom of the sheet for the ruffles (and minimize sewing time wahoo), which were already hemmed with white thread (which doesn't dye well) so here it is.
I used my favorite pattern, simplicity 0351a (which I noticed has another pattern number but I didn't write it down. I tried to google it and it linked to my blog ha) for the top (I know, I've used it a ton) and the idea from my (again very cryptic) secret sewing jumper (using the Kati Cupcake Darla Jumper pattern) for the bottom. With the secret project, the tiers and ruffles were all different fabrics and it was fun to have them all peeking out. In hindsight I wish I'd covered up the tiers in this dress better (ie made the ruffles and tiers the same height). Guess there's always another time like week five or six of project run and play. I didn't copy the measurements from the pattern, just the general idea. I had to decrease some of the ruffle measurements too from my first calculations so I wouldn't have to hem any of them. :)
From the simplicity pattern, I measured the bottom of the bodice. Then I did some math at midnight and came up with the following measurements, which I'm documenting so I can throw away the receipts and envelope I scribbled on. All measurements in inches.
Ruffle 1= tier 1 x 1.7= 29.75 wide x 3 high
Tier 1= bodice x 1.3= 17.5 wide x 4 high
Ruffle 2= tier 2 x 1.7= 38.7 wide x 5 high
Tier 2= tier 1 x 1.3= 22.75 wide x 6 high
Ruffle 3= tier 2 x 2= 45.5 wide x 7 high
I added a waistband similar to the directions in the Darla Jumper except the bodice isn't lined in this dress. I made a sash from the bedsheet to tie in the back.
I'm also pretty excited about the texture in the top pictures and how these turned out even though my hand was numb (which has temporarily resolved my carpal tunnel- best news ever) and I was recovering from food poisoning.
Sunday, September 23, 2012
Wednesday, September 19, 2012
(aka Project Run and Play Week Two) A few weeks ago one of my facebook friends shared a link for Persnickety Clothing and I've been a little obsessed with it. I don't have a particular fashion icon but I have a crush on dressing Ansley in boutique style clothing, without the price tag. This look is a little different than my norm (solid colors, only one print at a time) and a result of secret sewing that I haven't asked if I can blog about yet.
I made the shirt with simplicity 1785, view e without the back zipper and the extra sleeves, since I just bought the pattern and wanted to try it anyway. I added a placket to the front with a pleated center before binding the shirt. The shirt turned out bigger than I thought but definitely goes over Ansley's head easily and won't mess up her hair. :) (most other shirts her size require tugging to get over her head).
I made the tiered skirt inspired by this one that's no longer available. I used Dana from Made's Can Can skirt pattern, since I'd never tried one in Ansley's size with some adjustments (here's mine). The fabric is from Riley Blake's Bohemian Festival line. Each tier is topstiched and I added an extra row of stitching to the top elastic to keep it from twisting.
The ruffled leggings are probably my favorite. I used Susan from Living With Punks' Sugarplum Capri pattern, lengthened instead of shortened like my first try. The t shirt jersey knit is buttery soft and has a contrasting purple waistband. I really want to make a bunch more in thicker knits for the winter.
(and a reminder to myself to check my camera settings before taking the picture).