Wednesday, October 30, 2013
Somehow I got the idea to make a reversible minkee coat and mentioned it to Ansley. She wasn't going to let me forget either! For future reference, this was not the wisest idea b/c there is some bunching in the armholes. Linings are thinner than the outer coat for a reason and it seems that lighter fabrics work better for reversibility, at least in child size.
She wanted it to be purple on one side and white on the other. I used McCall's 6641, which is for a lined coat. I used view A because the minkee is pretty thick already. I omitted the facing and chose to use the purple minkee instead of fur. The purple side has pockets but the white side doesn't to minimize some bulk.
I forgot how it's nearly impossible to unpick stitches in minkee even with contrasting thread! The coat doesn't hang as nicely as I like but I couldn't fix it. I opted for an elastic loop closure because the coat is reversible and I haven't learned how to install a reversible separating zipper (which I also couldn't find and didn't want to wait to order). Buttonholes would've been kind of messy with the minkee shredding. It's supposed to have a button sewn on it but I haven't done it yet.
I tried to sew the sleeves like this coat but the fabrics were too thick. I ended up sewing on a band bias tape style with a lot of basting and my walking foot. This time the fluffiness of the minkee worked to my advantage as you can't really see the stitches on the purple side. :) (she's calling to a "butterfly"- a moth).
She loves it!