Happy Hey June June! I've fan-girled over Adrianna and you must know that nothing has changed! She is awesome sauce! I love how well her patterns are drafted and designed. And she helps me stay a little more modern than my college wardrobe.
The Key Largo Top is a casual top for lightweight wovens and includes two views (view A has a tie front and view B has a straight hem). The front can be cut on the bias or straight and there are instructions to add a dart if you need one. The sides are slightly shaped and the hem is slightly cropped to balance the relaxed fit of the bodice. There are options for an exposed or hidden binding at the neckline.
My first test version is in a voile from Sew Organic Fabric. This is the original length though the neckline has since been lowered by 1/4 inch. I cut the front on the fold (not on the bias) according to the optional instructions. This is the exposed binding and I tried styling it with a few different skirts. I have read that boxier tops should be paired with closer fitting bottoms but I like how it looks with this tulle circle skirt.
I also tried it with a thrifted jean skirt. I'm not sure which styling I like better.
This second version is made with seersucker (from The Stash via Hancock Fabrics I think) and is cut on the bias. I lined up the original side of the Key Largo Top with the curved hem of the Willamette Shirt. I used french seams for the sides after hemming the curved hem. I paired this one with a simple knit pencil skirt sewn using Made Everyday's instructions. I also scooped out the front neckline an additional 3/4 inch and used the hidden binding though after the fact I thought the bias binding would've looked nice on the outside.
After further scrutiny I wondered if I should add (the world's smallest) fba. After muslining I got the darts to where I wanted them to be. Then just for fun I added length and turned it into a dress. I cut the front on the bias and on the fold (because another tester did and I couldn't wrap my head around how the fabric would look until I did it). I basically just added as much length as I could and kept the curved hem. I am also stubborn and insisted on adding pockets (which are still too low but not worth unpicking haha) but they are usable and my serger didn't eat my dress this time so I'm happy. This is Gertie Chambray from Joanns (that has also been languishing in The Stash). I sewed a 3/4 inch strip of elastic to the back to account for my sway back and because it's drafted as a shirt, not a dress. (I also just barely had these pics taken, hence the change in hair length haha. This is my ninth or tenth time donating my hair and if I'm ever on Jeopardy I will submit as one of my conversational facts that I've donated more than my height in hair). (All pics by Ansley, who is getting quite good!!)
So after the fba muslins and the dress I tried on my original blouses with different bras and they are fine so I can wear my more comfy bras and have little or no puckering in the chest. I remembered this beautiful green textured fabric in The Stash (that I used for a dress for Lisbon when we last had professional family pictures taken) and made a fourth Key Largo Top. This one has the front scooped out 3/4 inch and the curved hem of the Willamette. Oh I neglected to mention earlier that I made a size 12 for all of these according to the measurement chart. Anyway, this is basically the same as the blue and white seersucker and I love it. Paired with an old circle skirt.
It is probably apparent I love this pattern! It's on sale through the weekend! Check out the awesomeness in Hey June Handmade's Affiliate link>shop. Thanks for stopping by! And stay tuned to find out if I catch up on the rest of the blog.
You killed it with the self sewing! High five! How inspiring!ReplyDelete
You are so sweet! Thank you!Delete
I hadn't seen your dress version until now. I really like that!ReplyDelete
Aww thanks!! Love your Willamette dress!Delete