Monday, October 25, 2010

Go-To Dress






I made these two dresses for less than two dollars. I used this tutorial and two old navy sweaters that were only 97 cents (plus an extra 30% off). One dress fits now and the other will fit when she's older. I love the little cap sleeves.

The sweater material is really thin and liked to get stuck in my machine or shred with my seam ripper, so it's not quite as pretty as I would've liked. I also had a bit of difficulty matching up the stripes, since I kept the bottom of the sweaters intact. I tried stretching the elastic as I was sewing the waist but my machine (and I) had fits. Oh well. I didn't add a waistband to the larger size b/c I like that it buttons all the way down. I'll probably add a little belt, to combat the muu muu-ness. I also really had to scrimp to get the excess cuff material to make the collar.

PS- that's the headboard I made a few years ago (minus the pillows since I didn't really want princess feet on my face). It was my first trip to a fabric store (or to the fabric section of a store) ever.


  1. Wow, that is so adorable and creative!! I absolutely love what you've done here. :)

  2. I love that you tried the dress using a sweater. I can see that it would be frustrating! I think she's so cute she probably looks adorable in anything =)


Hello! I'd love to answer your questions. If your blogger profile is private (posts from, please leave your email. Thanks!