Sunday, July 1, 2012

Our Patriotic Outfits

I finished my shirt dress(!!!) a few hours before we left for Celebrate America at Huntsman Springs. I ended up using New Look 6963 for the top, since the diamond darts in the back gave me a better fit. I used Simplicity 1880 for the bottom and had to cut a different size for the front and the back, which required a third trip to Joann's. Luckily they still had the fabric in stock!

Likes: the shape of the back, the collar, the button holes that actually turned out decent, the shape of the skirt, the length, my first zipper! (New Year's Resolution achieved!).

Dislikes: how much looser it is in the front than I thought it would be (but it looks okay with the sash from this dress), the zipper isn't quite invisible but not bad for not having an invisible zipper foot and it being my first try.

Ansley's dress Simplicity 0351a with a circle skirt, just like her Snow White (which, sadly, got a little hole in the skirt. I bet it's been worn at least thirty times though! I will mend the little tear in the cloth and hopefully it won't be super noticeable since it's near the bottom of the circle skirt) and hopscotch dresses. Ansley's hat made using the Oliver + S bucket hat free pattern and Jessica from A Little Gray's method. I cut out the largest size (6-8 years) and it fits over Ansley's pigtails well. I'm not sure if it runs a bit small or if Ansley still has a big head. :) I found it much easier to notch the side fabric before pinning it to the cap. The exterior is a white cotton and the interior is leftover from another one of my circle skirts, which never got officially blogged.

We had a great time (and are so grateful the kind ladies at the tamale booth let me buy food for Ansley when they were shutting down activities in the other field- we were so hungry!) and the fireworks were unlike any I've seen. I also played around with the settings on my camera, hence the color variation. All of the pictures are unedited.

Ansley by the Delorean:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Us:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Cool picture, despite the lens flare.

Photobucket

Tyrone's shadow:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The Tetons:

Photobucket

Fireworks in the next post. . . .

PS Tyrone says he doesn't feel left out that I didn't make him a matching outfit.

7 comments:

  1. Ha! I have totally done many a matching mother daughter outfit, lol... it's hard to resist, right?! That whole "mini me" thing I suppose. But really cute pictures! The dress is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the matching outfits! I have yet to make that O&S hat! I've been wanting to try it out since I bought the book last fall but never make time. Maybe next spring! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great outfits...I'm super impressed. I really love all of your firework shots as well. I've never had success shooting fireworks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such sweet photos of a beautiful family day out. Thanks for sharing. I love how your shirt dress came out. It's inspiring me to finally start working on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You both look beautiful and having a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fabulous! I love that you have matching outfits with your daughter! What fun! I am such a sucker for polka dots too! Fabulous make! Thanks so much for participating! xoxo, Sunni

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'd love to answer your questions. If your blogger profile is private (posts from no-reply@comment.blogger.com), please leave your email. Thanks!