Sunday, September 2, 2012

Pattern Remix of Katy's (No Big Dill) Bias Skirt

Photobucket

Here's my sew along entry for Season 5 of Project Run and Play. I made a skirt for myself two years ago, using Katy's tutorial, back in the early days of this blog. (and apparently I had also recently donated my hair like I did last week). (and look at how little and cute Ansley was back then. She's still cute but not as little).

Photobucket

Ansley picked out the fabrics (broadcloth and a lightweight quilting cotton) and decided that the purple should be on top, which was totally the right decision. :)

Photobucket

The top is based on her Valentine's Dress and the bottom is a circle skirt with all of the bias strips sewn in one direction. I sewed the bodice together at a 45 degree angle before cutting the strips, like my faux chenille blanket. The bodice is also lined and closes at the back with a loop of bias tape and a pink button sewn at about 45 degrees. I cut a bunch of bias strips and sewed them on the skirt. I debated lining the skirt as well but decided to go with bias tape, as it would be easier to keep the strips "open."

Photobucket

It is super twirly. . . .

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Endnote- I washed it and I kind of want to cry. I didn't expect as much curling. I tried ironing it but it was pretty futile. I just like the pink peeking out more than being the predominant color. I might tack down the edges, which could be manageable on the skirt, but not tonight!

13 comments:

  1. so cute!
    must have taken forever!!!
    sooo worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow !
    you won't believe this, but I was thinking of doing something very similar for the white sheet challenge using the same technique & doing purple on top of pink !!! OK, now I have to go off & think of something else to do for the white sheet challenge.
    I am trying to figure out how to follow your blog, any advice? thanks in advance ! have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adorable little girl! (And dress, too, of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful dress, Emily! What a time-intensive project. You did a great job.
    Kristina J.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ansley is getting so big! What a doll!
    What a great idea to put a contrasting color under the bias strips. Love the chevron effect on the bodice too.
    Sorry about the curling. Rats. If you don't like so much of the pink showing, I suppose you could always dye it to a light lavender color. Then you could still have the contrast but keep the purple feel. Ansley looks like she'd love it no matter what. Who doesn't love a twirly dress? They are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your entry - I can't wait to get mine finished and loaded in the flickr group. I am so excited to get to know all the 'sew along-ers'! My original plan was to create a chevron pattern with the bias - but my mom convinced me that the effect would be lost on my 4 month baby girl's small frame. Once she's bigger, I will definitely do some chevron though -yours turned out so great! ~Suzanne (http://winterwonderingswanderingswhatnot.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very fun photo shoot! Thanks for the heads up about washing. I did this with jersey and tested a little piece to see how it would wash (it was actually fine), but IF I ever did this again, I'd definitely use cotton (or so I thought). I wonder what other fabrics won't curl?

    ReplyDelete
  8. so so so cute!! fantastic work, fun seeing you sewing along!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE IT!!! I love how other people remixed this idea! Your dress is a.dor.a.ble!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Checking over here from PR&P as well. I love the dress and it was fun to see more pictures of it. Yikes about the washing. The whole time I was sewing mine I kept thinking, "I'm so scared to wash this, yet I'm curious to see what happens to it." Now I'm just scared...

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very pretty dress - your daughter obviously loves it.
    I love the little bits of pink you can see through the purple bias strips - it looks great

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww shes lovely! Love the pink and purple dress!!! The last picture is priceless :)

    ZARA gift card giveaway for $400 on
    http://fashion-a-holic.com/2012/09/page/6/

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'd love to answer your questions. If your blogger profile is private (posts from no-reply@comment.blogger.com), please leave your email. Thanks!