Thursday, May 5, 2011

Better than a Can (and I daresay Cafe Rio) Black Beans

Photobucket

Sort your black beans, getting rid of broken or mushy or shriveled ones. Rinse a few times and soak in cold water in the fridge overnight. (I soaked mine in the crock pot). In the morning, rinse a few more times. Cover with water and cook in your crockpot on low for four to six hours, or until desired tenderness. I read conflicting info on the internet about when to salt/season your beans. I compromise and let them cook for an hour or two, then dump in a bunch of minced garlic, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper.

These are great with http://afewthingsemilymade.blogspot.com/2011/04/salsa-chicken.html. They'd be great in anything you usually use black beans in. Happy Cinco de Mayo and Happy Birthday to all of my friends with May 5th birthdays. :)

1 comment:

  1. I just got a recipe for their pork and now I'm excited to have beans to go with it!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'd love to answer your questions. If your blogger profile is private (posts from no-reply@comment.blogger.com), please leave your email. Thanks!