My adorable nephew recently turned one. My sister threw him a fantastic baseball party!!!
I made a little blazer with suiting fabric for the exterior and baseball fabric for the interior. The pattern is by Melissa of Blank Slate Patterns. (Ansley's blazer blogged here). I changed around the way I sewed up the lining and exterior so I could eliminate hand sewing (not my forte ha), like in this post. I debated whether I should topstitch the coat so the corners and notches always look sharp or if I should leave it untopstitched (which looks better) but then the corners won't always look as great. I ended up topstitching it. I made an 18 month size and it's just right. I guess he won't need a suit coat in the summer. :) Also, I would like to point out that this is the best buttonhole I've ever made.
Moving on. . . . I semi-homemade baseball style tees for us. I started with basic tees that were on sale at Joann and cut off the existing arms, with a diagonal going through the armpit (which is key- yeah, I totally messed up mine since I practiced on mine) and drafted raglan long sleeves. I also sewed the binding around the neckline and though I only used a strip of rib knit that was about 80% the size of the neckline, I probably should've used a strip that was closer to 60% b/c they don't lay completely flat. They aren't bad, but they can be better next time! (Ansley's skirt blogged here).
I loved the decorations and it was fun to see family and friends. :)
I tried to get Ansley to turn her cookie around so I could take a picture of the baseball and this is what I got. The cookies were so good! There were also hot dogs and burgers and other basebally foods.
Not a fan of the cake.
Presents with a little "helper."
Loved the pictures of his first year.