Monday, April 2, 2012
Background story- I was making a dress for one of Ansley's friends and thought it would be awesome to use a sheet that a neighbor gave me and give it the ombre treatment. The ombre part looks fine but there's a big splotch of dye on the back (boo!!) so now it'll be a play dress for Ansley and I have a few days to start over.
Since I'd cut up the sheet, I decided to use as much of the unstained part as possible- including a shirt and circle skirt for Ansley and a circle skirt for me. I didn't mean to make Ansley's shirt so short, just short enough that she can manage by herself in the bathroom (if you know what I mean ;) ). This was my first time dyeing elastic. I used the whole bottle of dye, really hot water, and extra salt but the beautiful royal blue turned into a light periwinkle and the ombre effect is less pronounced.
I dipped in the bottom section of each item (except for my skirt- the darkest section is on top and the bottom is white) for the longest time and tried to "constantly stir" as the RIT bottle says. After about ten minutes, I submerged more of each item in the dye bath, then a bit more a few minutes later. Maybe I need one of those electric stirrers and/or shouldn't be in such a hurry and try to dye four things at a time. I will also buy 100% cotton for the next dye project, unless I want a more pastel colored result.
Oh and in case you missed it, I blogged about Ansley's jacket here and yes, she did pick those boots.
And don't forget to enter the giveaway, at the bottom of this post.